This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Congratulations on your engagement! Now that you’ve gotten the ring, it’s time to start the wedding planning process and top on the wedding planning list is finding the perfect wedding venue.
When trying to find the perfect wedding venue there are some very important questions you need to ask the wedding venue. If you are wondering what questions to ask the wedding venue, here is a list of questions to ask your wedding venue.
Questions to ask your wedding venue
- Is our date of choice available? If not, are there any surrounding dates available? Or do you have a wait-list for dates?
- How many people can this location accommodate?
- What is the rental fee and what’s included in the price?
- How much is the deposit, when is it due and is it refundable?
- How many hours does the rental fee include, is there an overtime fee if we stay longer?
- What’s the payment plan for the bill? What forms of payment are accepted?
- What is the cancellation policy?
- How early can we arrive and how late can we stay?
- Can our ceremony be held here too? Is there an additional cost?
- Are there changing areas for the couple and/or wedding party?
- Can we have our rehearsal dinner here?
- Can we have a morning-after mimosa brunch?
- How much time is allocated for the rehearsal?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- What is your weather backup plan for outdoor spaces?
Vendors and Staffing
- Can we have our own vendors or is there a preferred vendor list we need to stick to?
- Do you offer on-site coordination? What services are included?
- What security services do you offer?
- Can the venue accommodate a DJ or live band?
- What time can our vendors start setting up on the wedding day?
- Does the venue provide assistance getting gifts and decorations back to a designated car or hotel room after the wedding?
- Do you provide a coat check service?
Decor and Rentals
- Can we bring our own decorations?
- Can we move things around or do we have to leave everything as it is?
- Do you have an inventory of decorations we can borrow from?
- Do you have signage or other aids to direct guests to our event?
- Do you provide heaters and/or umbrellas for outdoor spaces?
- Can we use sparklers, candles etc. at the venue?
Food and Drinks
- Do you have an in-house caterer or a list of preferred caterers or do we need to provide our own?
- If there is an in-house caterer, do we have the option of using an outside caterer instead?
- If we hire our own caterer, is there a kitchen available for them?
- Is there a food and beverage minimum?
- What’s the tax and service charge?
- If we are using an in-house caterer can we do a food tasting before we finalize our menu selection? Does it cost extra?
- Can we bring cake from an outside baker or do we have to use a cake made on-site?
- Can we bring our own wine, beer or champagne? What about hard liquor?
- Is there a corkage fee if we bring in our own liquor?
- Are you licensed to provide alcohol service?
- How is alcohol priced and is there a bar minimum?
- Are there additional charges for bar staff?
- Is there a separate space for cocktail hour?
- Do you have a sound system and/or microphones for speeches?
- Are there any noise restrictions?
- Is there parking on-site and is it complimentary? if not, where will our guests park?
- Are cabs/ride shares easily accessible from the venue?
- If a shuttle service is need, can you assist with setting it up?
- How many restrooms are there? (A rule of thumb is to have 1 restroom per 50 guests)
- Is the site handicap accessible?
- Who will be our point person as we plan our wedding? Who will be our point person on the wedding day?
- Do you provide overnight accommodations? Do you offer a discount for booking multiple rooms?
- If no accommodations are available, what are the nearest hotels to the venue?